Ex South African
ZS-AUA arrived in South Africa at
Palmietfontein airport on 30 March 1946. She was one of three DC-4s
ordered in 1945.
At 11:37 AM on 17 April 1951, SAA
Skymaster ZS-AUA made the first semi-official landing at the yet
incomplete Jan Smuts Airport.
The last DC-4 scheduled flight
for SAA was on 30 September 1965. It was fitting that it was DC-4
ZS-AUA that did the first scheduled SAA flight and the last.
The aircraft was sold to the SAAF
on 17 January 1966 and allocated number 6901 and was operated by 44
Bought by Aero Air in August 1995
and registered ZS-NUR.
Sold to the Dutch Dakota
Association in January 1996 and registered PH-DDS.
The DDA experienced difficulties
in keeping the aircraft up to the rigid standards of the Dutch
Aviation authorities and was forced to cease using the
The aircraft was leased to
Springbok Classic Air, as ZS-AUA, in November 2002 and returned to
South Africa in 2003.
ZS-AUA was subsequently leased to
In December 2006, she was leased to Skyclass
Aviation based at Rand
On the 8th of October 2008 engine
number 3 failed, bearing failure in the nose case, and was
She was stored, on behalf
of the DDA, by the SAA Museum Society in December 2010.
Acquired by the Flying Dutchman Foundation in 2013
On 9 January 2017 the aircraft
was towed from the museum aircraft park to Skyclass Aviation for
On 2 March 2017 she was
moved into the Phoebus Apollo hangar for a D-Check and restoration
to flying condition.